Sunday, December 1, 2013

Skyport to VOR to Ojai flight, 28 miles

Skyport launch
Eagle was coaching big group of students from San Francisco. I watched few launches, but it took them forever, so I squeezed on the right side of launch and got off right away. Few turns over launch and follow Bob and white UP glider to R&R. We climbed there to 5500 and continue west.
Westbound leg
Easy going to VOR where I turn around and go east. Day seems to be ok for big flight. I saw a group of gliders just few peaks ahead of me and assumed they would go through the pass, but it turned out they went for Padaro beach.
Powerlines
Just before power lines meet with Marty who was flying from Nuthouse in opposite direction this day.
Marty flying west
I also have hang glider friend who was chasing me since Montecito peak.
HG friend
Going through the pass was tough, I was getting lower and lower finally landing on the fire road at 3 pm and then hiking about a mile to re-launch. Made few phone calls and realized I'm the only one going through the pass, so retrieve will be epic.
Hiking to re-launch
First knob (on photo) was not good because of long glide out and chance to end up in bushed closed canyon, but next one seemed ok.
Re-launch options
After first unsuccessful attempt I decide to clear enough space from bushes and debris, which helped. In the air at 4:25 pm. Unfortunately no thermal activity, 10 minutes extended sledder toward Ojai. Hiked 2.5 miles to intersection of highway 150 and 33 to get bus #16 to Ventura. Missed the last bus from Ventura to Santa Barbara and try to use Amtrak.
Waiting for the train
Train was scheduled to arrive at 8:59, but was 1 hour late, so I arrived to Santa Barbra at 11, taxi to Parma and home at 0:30 am. It was a long day.

Track log: http://www.paraglidingforum.com/leonardo/flight/851116


No comments: